[governance] the Apple iPhone rort

David Goldstein goldstein_david at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 11 02:12:26 EDT 2007

hi McTim,

My understanding is there is no "pay-as-you-go" with the iPhone, although someone in the USA may wish to confirm whether this is true. The relevant part of their website has a "Maintenance In Progress" message at the moment... But it would be the case of paying out your contract if you wanted one and could connect to another service provider.

The actual provider "lock-in" in this case is also an issue as Apple, supposedly the consumer's champion, is locking in people to one of the worst wireless providers in the US. But then, Greenpeace has already exposed Apple's interest in the consumer with their reports on the environmental credentials of the technology companies. And also the phone is ONLY available through AT&T - you can't even go to another company to get it.

BTW, I don't think the phone has been hacked, as of yet, to enable changing carriers. I think this is, to date, only for other aspects of the device.

David