[governance] The .xxx domain rises again

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Wed Jan 17 06:19:34 EST 2007

I agree with you, Milton. I raised the issue of two weeks ago in a blog
post.

Not only is it outside the scope and mission of ICANN to control the
content. It also seems difficult, if not impossible, to effectively
implement the required controls in the current state of the technology.
How can a human being tell with 100% certainty that a picture does
represent an under age kid ? Even less a computer program.

Going into conjectures:
- Either, this new agreement is a way for ICANN to wash its hands and
pretend the issues raised by the GAC are being addressed and consider
its job done, or
-  it could be a political willingness to program the failure of the new
TLD by requiring impossible controls, and claim later that the rules
have not be respected.

Hypothesis 2 might explain why we did not yet hear any opposition from
conservative groups yet.

Patrick Vande Walle

     governance at lists.cpsr.org