[governance] Action on Enhanced Cooperation, please ) a bit of editing

Nnenna nne75 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 09:00:19 EST 2007

>From the Civil Society  Internet Governance Caucus
       Nitin Desai
      Special Advisor to the  Secretary-General, United Nations.
                       Dear Mr Desai,

      Wishing you a happy and  fulfilling 2007!

      The Internet Governance  Caucus (IGC) would like to congratulate you for the very successful first  meeting of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF). A good amount of the credit for  this goes to your personal leadership, and that of your advisory team. The  first meeting of the IGF was a crucial mould-setting exercise, and we  appreciate the fact that all parties approached it positively, and with due care (replace care with engagement).  We have been able to set the stage for a new multistakeholder exercise in  global governance which is indeed path-breaking, not only in the area of  governance of the Internet, but in general as an outstanding example for future  reforms in global governance.
       (The  IGF has succeeded in establishing a strong base for an enhanced  multistakehomder engagement in global governance, not only for the  Internet but also for global development)
      IGF has got firmly  established as an open platform, inclusive to all, which gives an opportunity  to discuss and debate public policy issues related to the Internet, and explore  possibilities as well as constituencies for needed change and reform. Some of  these issues can even reach high enough degree of consensus among the involved  parties that can drive change on its own – for instance agreements on new  technology or legal standards, incorporating agreed issues of public interest,  that are acceptable to all stakeholders, civil society groups, business and the  governments.

  Paragraph break

  However (All the same), the fact remains that most public policy processes at the  IGF, at least after they reach a level of maturity of debate and deliberation  in the IGF, require input ( delete ing) into an appropriate political arena of global  public policy making. It is the lack of progress in this area in the post WSIS  period that continues to cause concern to us.

      The Tunis  agenda clearly recognizes ‘that there are many cross-cutting  international public policy issues that require attention and are not  adequately addressed by the current mechanisms’ (paragraph 60 of Tunis agenda). It  further affirms, for this purpose, the ‘need to initiate, and reinforce,  as appropriate, a transparent, democratic, and multilateral process, with the  participation of governments, private sector, civil society and international  organizations
 (p 61). The Tunis  agenda also expressly calls for ‘creating an environment that facilitates  this development of public policy principles’ (p 70). The intent and  mandate of the Tunis  agenda in terms of the importance and urgency to proceed with the task of  developing public policy principles for the Internet, and processes/mechanisms  for their development and application, is quite evident.

      As one form or  possibility for this exercise, paragraph 71 lays out such a clear mandate that  it is worth quoting in full.

      The  process towards enhanced cooperation, to be started by the UN  Secretary-General, involving all relevant organisations by the end of the first  quarter of 2006, will involve all stakeholders in their respective roles, will  proceed as quickly as possible consistent with legal process, and will be  responsive to innovation. Relevant organisations should commence a process  towards enhanced cooperation involving all stakeholders, proceeding as quickly  as possible and responsive to innovation. The same relevant organisations shall  be requested to provide annual performance reports.

      However, as we enter the  year 2007, there has been no word,(there appears to be little communication) much less action, on the broader issue of  developing public policy principles and processes for the Internet, and  specifically, the more clearly mandated issue, with timelines, of initiating  the ‘process towards enhanced cooperation’. As a matter of paramount  global public interest, as well as a stated commitment of the WSIS, we, the  IGC, as stakeholders of the WSIS and post-WSIS process, request to be informed  on the status of these issues, in terms of the action that has been taken, and  is intended to be taken.

      We also wish to claim  the full participation of civil society(strongly reaffirm our readiness to fully engage)  in the envisaged process of  ‘enhanced cooperation’ and other public policy processes, which is  implied and mandated in the concerned parts of the Tunis agenda, and we request  you to ensure such participation. We note with concern that some parties have  tried to claim ‘enhanced cooperation’ as a government-only process.  This is completely at variance with the overall envisaged approach to public  policy issues for the Internet (p 60 and 61) as well as in terms of the  specific process of ‘enhanced cooperation’ (p 71). We also offer  our complete cooperation, and assistance as may be required by you, for  initiating these processes, in order to ensure incorporation  (thinking this should be replaced, maybe with input)of public interest  in the development of the most powerful technologies of our times, that holds  much promise for just and equitable
 social change.

  Thanking you.

      Sincerely

http://mail.yahoo.com