[governance] Re: Response to Stephane Bortzmeyer on IDN

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Tue Feb 27 01:39:26 EST 2007

Stephane, there are so many value judgements you're making in your
historiography.

While I don't have the knowledge or experience to vouch for or
critique all of Subbiah's points, I can say that your
characterisation of *all* the work done by alternative navigation
providers as "selling dummy IDN domain names", when there were also
clearly other factors at play, perfectly illustrates why much of the
world outside the Euro-US technical community holds little faith in
existing governance regimes.

The IETF's "cooperation" and the "openness" of its forum has at times
been limited. Especially for those who believed that their own
language groups should be able to use internetworking technologies
without waiting around for English-language speakers to sort out all
the problems in a theoretically ideal system.

I think that if those associated with IETF/ICANN are serious about
seeing the Internet become a truly global facility would do well to
take a more nuanced and less patronising view of the history of
alternative naming systems, especially in the Asian region.

Regards

Danny

--
Danny Butt