[governance] Impending publication: Reflections on Internet Transparency

Peter Dambier peter at echnaton.serveftp.com
Fri Feb 23 17:49:40 EST 2007

As far as I can see draft-iab-net-transparent-03.txt is a draft only.

Racines Libres or Liberated Roots are a reality and wont go away
because of a draft that does not even mention their existence.

I am glad the bind nameserver as published by the ISC is able to
cope with more than a single root even when two or more of them
are in the Inclusive Namespace.

I dont think a root that prevents people from using other
languages than english and other alphabeths than latin is
appropriate for a mostly nonenglish speaking world that mostly
writes nonlatin alphabeth. I remember even french, german,
spanish or portuguese writers cannot express themselves in
that subset of latin used.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin Dambier

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> Last opportunity to comment on this important document from the
> IAB. Do note it talks also about DNS on things like "alternative
> roots" and access providers adding wildcards in their DNS resolvers.
>
> Subject: Impending publication: draft-iab-net-transparent-03.txt
> From: Leslie Daigle <leslie at thinkingcat.com>
> To: IETF Announcement list <ietf-announce at ietf.org>
> Cc: iab at ietf.org
> Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:22:14 -0500
>
> The IAB is ready to ask the RFC-Editor to publish
>
>                Reflections on Internet Transparency
>                <draft-iab-net-transparent-03.txt>
>

> as an Informational RFC.   This document reiterates
> the general principle and benefits of network transparency,
> identifying further transparency issues not addressed
> in previous IAB statements.  Networks that provide transparent
> (oblivious) transport enable the deployment of new services without
> requiring changes to the core.  It is this flexibility which is perhaps
> both the Internet's most essential characteristic as well as one of the
> most important contributors to its success.
>

> The IAB solicits comments by March 23, 2007. Please send
> comments to the IAB (iab at iab.org).
>
> The document can be found at
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-net-transparent-03.txt
>
>  From the Abstract:
>
>    This document provides a review of previous IAB statements on
>    Internet transparency, as well a discussion of new transparency
>    issues.  Far from having lessened in relevance, technical
>    implications of intentionally or inadvertently impeding network
>    transparency play a critical role in the Internet's ability to
>    support innovation and global communication.  This document provides
>    some specific illustrations of those potential impacts.
>

> Leslie Daigle,
>       For the IAB.

Peter and Karin Dambier
Cesidian Root - Radice Cesidiana