[governance] Host country agreement

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Fri Feb 23 06:46:10 EST 2007

I am temporarily in a meeting out of town, hard to follow the
discussion, but I can respond to this. The ICANN meeting in São Paulo
was the first in a row of meetings since at least Luxembourg in which
wi-fi worked, even in a room with more than 150 laptops connected
simultaneously.

Techies from CGI.br were responsible for the Internet acess project at
the venue, and we will count on them for IGF Rio and the related
meetings. They could write the book Kieren is suggesting. ;)

frt rgds

--c.a.

Kieren McCarthy wrote:
> Wrt to the wireless access issue.
>
> What would be really good is if civil society could get together a small
> group of network engineers who specialize in wireless access, and have some
> experience of the strange laws that exist once you get past 20 people on a
> wireless network, and offer them to the Secretariat as a consultancy.
>
> They could knock up some basic rules to follow, or infrastructural
> approaches, give them to the Brazilians and then turn up a day or two before
> the actual meeting to test the network and clear out any bugs.
>
> I've always thought the world is crying out for a Wiki-booklet on Wi-Fi
> conference access and another on conference Webcasting. You see the same
> mistakes again and again across the world.
>

> Kieren

Carlos A. Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
http://www.rits.org.br

     governance at lists.cpsr.org