[governance] Re: remote participation

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 13 16:05:40 EST 2007

Here's a post prepared late in the session, on this subject.  (The
opening paras ping from comments made earlier in the session.
Incidentally, only VLC would pull in the stream for any period of
time.)

>We were tempted to take advantage of asynchronous options, with a
>Geneva morning the middle of the night here.  Yes, in remote
>participation, time differences are one of the differences.
>
>And we would take a static connection any time - static, anyway, if
>it didn't constantly ask to be re-started.  Ain't technology
>wonderful?!  Especially when it is still a little bit a beta release.
>
>To be a little more serious:  We suggest serious thinking about what
>real participation is possible, when participants are remote.  To
>listen, and even watch (if the link stays up), is a pleasure.  It is
>a different matter when it comes to making an intervention in the
>meeting.  Or, when it comes to (wanting to) talk to colleagues in
>the corridor.
>
>Two-way video is an established tool today - and with bandwidth,
>even easy to do.  But that is a step beyond where we are in IGF
>infrastructure.  And many would-be remote participants will not have
>the bandwidth.
>
>If we do not go to two-way video - and I would be surprised if we do
>- we suggest serious thought about our expectations for remote
>participation and just how to configure it.

What we actually can enable, for participation, is going to be a useful topic.

I expect most are aware that Jeremy Malcolm, with Kieren McCarthy,
have got a dynamic coalition on the subject
http://igf2006.info/wiki/IGF-OCDC intended to be hands-on and
helpful.  Kieren presented on the coalition, the first comments in
the afternoon.

David