[governance] CONSENSUS CALL - Statement for the IGF consultations

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 23:40:23 EST 2007

VB

On 2/10/07, Vittorio Bertola <vb at bertola.eu> wrote:
> All,
>
> I am attaching the (expectedly) final version of our statement for
> Tuesday, and launching a formal consensus call on it.

I am ok with the statement generally....

> The only changes in this version, in respect to the one posted a few
> hours ago, are Ken's note on the number of CS members (which became
> "about five" from "five or less")

(except for the nit in the other thread about this).

> Separately, I am still asking people to state consensus or opposition
> (if having a clear opinion) on the addition of the sentence "We think
> that, as per comma (j) of the IGF mandate, the legal nature and working
> structure of ICANN should be among the matters discussed in Rio, as long
> as this does not prevent the IGF from paying adequate attention to all
> the other themes.", in replacement of "Inside civil society, there are
> different points of view about this matter;", in the second-last para.

I am strongly opposed to this change for a number of reasons;

a) j is a pretty flimsy rationale IMO for talking about "the legal
nature and working
structure". I just can't make that leap myself.

b) qualifying it with the caveat about it not being distracting is a
little strange, as we know from past experience that it is the black
hole of discussion topics.

c) The mandate is quite clear about being hands off ICANN et. al., so
it's discussion without any possibility of resolution.  Now, if the
intent is to do capacity building, then I'd be happy to lead a
discussion on critical resource distribution theory and practice.

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim