[governance] Re: The nice thing about China...

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Sat Feb 10 04:56:01 EST 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 10:37:00AM -0800,
 subbiah <subbiah at i-dns.net> wrote
 a message of 159 lines which said:

> I am more than happy to answer any questions of that history or
> anything else in between since I have been involved all along
> through our company i-dns.net which together with early non-profit
> licensing by singapore university is responsible for pretty much all
> software and incarnations of IDN worldwide

??? There are at least three independant free software IDN
implementations (Verisign, GNU libidn and the JPRS kit).

> the IETF-standard of 2003 - which except for one minor formating
> diffrence was in the main identical to what the Singapore university
> team and I proposed in 1998/9 to ICANN and IETF

When I see that i-dns.net ships a custom name server
(http://www.i-dns.net/support_download/downloads/sysadmin/enabling_unix_ibind.html),
I strongly doubt it. The standard IDN, as specified in RFC 3490 is
entirely client-side.

I do note there is apparently no reference to RFC 3490 or other
standards.

I suspect that i-dns.net continues what was one of the big reasons for
the IDN delay: selling dummy IDN domain names.

> under the auspicies of APNG (see i-dns.org for testbed details).

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://i-dns.org/

The following error was encountered:

    Unable to determine IP address from host name for i-dns.org

The dnsserver returned:

    Server Failure: The name server was unable to process this query.

This means that:

 The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
 Check if the address is correct.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org