[governance] Consultation on CSTD - Tuesday 13 February (13:30-15:00)

CONGO WSIS - Philippe Dam wsis at ngocongo.org
Wed Feb 7 14:11:29 EST 2007

Dear all,

This is a preliminary up date on the preparation of the briefing and
consultation meeting on the 10th session of CSTD (Room XXIV, Palais des
Nations). It will take place on Tuesday 13 February 2007 during lunchtime
(13:30-15:00). Participation will be open mainly to CS entities and to the
Private Sector. As previously mentioned, two issues will be addressed:

-          Briefing on the preparations for the up coming cluster of WSIS
related events (CSTD and ALF meetings, May 2007)

-          Informal Consultation on the multi-year work programme and the
methods of work of the CSTD.

Participation will be open to all CS participants in the CSTD. For most of
you, the registration to the IGF stock taking will allow you to access this
meeting. For the other ones, we will make sure that you will be provided a
badge (contact us: wsis at ngocongo.org).

I think we should come to this briefing with some common understanding of
the message we want to deliver to the CSTD Secretariat (and to some of the
member States representatives who might pop in during the meeting) about the
points which will be addressed.

This includes the following main issues:

-          Preparation for the up coming 10th session of the CSTD and of the
WSIS related cluster of events;

For your information, the CSTD session will be held on 21-25 May;
additionally some 8 ALF meetings might be held around that session. More
information will follow.

Up dated calendar: http://www.csbureau.info/posttunis.htm

-          Modalities for NGO/CS participation in the CSTD;

-          Other CSTD working methods for the follow up to WSIS (including
reporting activities and relationship with other UN entities);

-          Multi-year programme of work of the CSTD.

Based on the ECOSOC
<http://www.un.org/docs/ecosoc/documents/2006/resolutions/Resolution%202006-
46.pdf>  resolution renewing the CSTD mandate in July 2006, the Commission
will work through biennial action cycle. The programme of work is still to
be determined and the CSTD Panel in Paris (6-8 Nov. 2006) addressed this
issue (see report of the CSTD Panel,
http://www.unctad.org/sections/dite_dir/docs/dite_pcbb_stdev0045_en.pdf,
read in particular pages 15-16).

Please send us your contributions and comments on these issues. We will come
back to you with more details.

All the best,

Philippe Dam
CONGO - WSIS CS Secretariat
11, Avenue de la Paix
CH-1202 Geneva
Tel: +41 22 301 1000
Fax: +41 22 301 2000
E-mail:  <mailto:wsis at ngocongo.org> wsis at ngocongo.org
Website:  <blocked::http://www.ngocongo.org> www.ngocongo.org

The Conference of NGOs (CONGO) is an international, membership association
that facilitates the participation of NGOs in United Nations debates and
decisions. Founded in 1948, CONGO's major objective is to ensure the
presence of NGOs in exchanges among the world's governments and United
Nations agencies on issues of global concern.  For more information see our
website at www.ngocongo.org <blocked::http://www.ngocongo.org/>