[governance] ICANN taxes/fees

veni markovski veni at veni.com
Wed Feb 7 07:25:46 EST 2007

At 08:43 PM 2/6/2007  -0500, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
>It's based on RUNNING CODE.

I think I asked Milton, not Michael :)

But then, again, even if what you say is correct (and I don't say it
is), that does not respond to the fact on what grounds someone would
say that "running registries is not difficult". I have some
experience of running companies, and dare to say that it's not an
easy job. As for Viittorio's comments - he actually made a good point
- this kind of work is already being done, so that's not an argument
for the registries, but rather an argument that anyone can do
whatever they want today, even without new TLDs.
And here's another question: if running registries is easy, and
people get "local" domains, what happens when the registry goes out
of business, or the person who is running it decides to move in
another city, or country, or stops working on computers? What will
the users do with all the e-mails they are getting at their "local" domain.

veni

     governance at lists.cpsr.org