[governance] Re: The nice thing about China...

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Tue Feb 6 03:10:28 EST 2007

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 05:40:03PM -0500,
 David Allen <David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu> wrote
 a message of 42 lines which said:

> Interesting, isn't it, trying to get information when the language
> you must use seems, for you, like no more than so many squiggles on
> a page?

Yes, but this is completely out of scope for ICANN (which, last time I
checked does not regulate Web page contents and does not sheperd the
HTML format or the HTTP protocol).

Multilinguism on the Internet is indeed a very important thing, but it
has nothing to do with ICANN (for good or for bad) and little to do
with Internet governance. Chinese-speaking people write in Chinese on
the Internet for many years. So what? In what way a governance mailing
list like this one has anything to do about it?

> I could give you an, authoritative, three-sentence overview (have
> just done so offlist to a query)

Non-public information is ignored.

> http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2006/03/01/new-chinese-tlds

It says:

> There is still some uncertainty on how the new TLDs have been
> implemented.

Which is a very good understatement.

> Certainly, saying "nonsense" is a surefire way to get help, bound to
> make others think highly of the request. ;-)

Exactly the same process that we often saw with the "alternative root"
crowd. "We do not talk with people who disagree with us". Convenient.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org