[governance] ICANN taxes/fees

David Goldstein goldstein_david at yahoo.com.au
Sun Feb 4 23:24:07 EST 2007

If your name was Harry Potter, there would be a good case of you keeping the domain name harrypotter.whatever, but you would have to have a legitimate use for the domain name. I very much doubt you could trade off the success of the character Harry Potter. Also, if you changed your name by deed poll I reckon you'd still be lucky to keep the domain name.

On governance issues, ICANN seemed to refused to get involved in the Spamhaus issue a few months ago, so I don't know if this is an area of interest for them.

So ICANN have some responsibilities, but I don't think in the areas you are suggesting Mawaki.

On the role of UDRP, there are numerous courts that suggest plaintiffs and complainants (correct terms?) should mediate/arbitrate, and the decision, if accepted by both parties is legally enforceable. Courts are often a last resort in many areas. Family Law is often a case in point.

David