[governance] RE: Caucus at IGF stock taking meeting

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Sat Feb 3 14:06:53 EST 2007

David,

You have made an amazing comment.

First, let's remember that multilingual documents, as differentiated
from domain names, have been around for quite a few years.  The
UNICODE consortium has been around since 1989, I think, and has
worked hard to make a consistent and usable coding for most of the
world's scripts.  They are in use all over the world. You are
imputing to much importance to the IDN issue as opposed to the
general multi-script issue.  note that links containing domain names
are often hidden in documents, and clicking on a piece of text in the
user's own script can accomplish the selection of a web page.

Second, you accuse ICANN of proactive foot-dragging with respect to
internationalizing domain names.  I don't see any recognition that
this has been a difficult problem to solve, or that the locus for the
technical work needed to solve it is primarily the IETF, is an
organization to which anyone clueful from any country can contribute.
I see no recognition that there are significant stability and
security issues in getting a good solution, and that doing it right
is preferable to doing too quickly, having it break and then
repairing the damage and doing it over.

Furthermore, you are imputing motive to ICANN that it really wanted
to do this slowly and thereby presumably deny Internet access to a
whole lot of people.  Do you really believe this?

Finally you note that "the practical prospect for connection by ~5
billion folks has been effectively evaporated."  Do you mean to imply
that when the IDN issue is finally resolved, that even then these 5
billion people are forever banished from such connectivity?
Evaporation is generally a one way process after all.

Perhaps you'd like to modify your observation, which may have been
written a bit emotionally and hastily?

Regards,

George

     governance at lists.cpsr.org