[governance] ICANN taxes/fees (was: Caucus at IGF stock taking meeting)

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Sat Feb 3 12:09:52 EST 2007

Hi,

On 2/3/07 5:43 PM, "George Sadowsky" <george.sadowsky at attglobal.net> wrote:

> This may be the wording of the Tunis agenda, but in fact, I believe
> that both Nitin desai and Markus Kummer have stressed that the
> purpose of the IGF is discussion, and that appears to be the opinion
> of members of the advisory committee also.  There may have been some
> rethinking about the mandate of the IGF after Tunis; I'm not sure.

I'm sure.  It just wasn't a publicly accessible discussion.

> The concept of non-binding recommendations is interesting.  I think
> even that would lead to a fundamental shift in the IGF milieu.

I wouldn't fetishize things by saying that arriving at one possible end
point should be the organizing objective from the outset.  But it might be
nice to have at least one stream of parallel activity being about a
particular issue set actually concerning the conduct of Internet governance,
and have this among the options available if consensus can be found.  That
wouldn't preclude moderated panels chatting in another room, or the
convening of workshops, so the shift might be less than fundamental.

Best,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org