[governance] ICANN taxes/fees (was: Caucus at IGF stock taking meeting)

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sat Feb 3 10:45:22 EST 2007

Interesting debate. I have adapted the subject line.

George Sadowsky wrote:
> IGF is a discussion forum.  It has no role ion global public policy
> making.
Wait a second. From the Tunis Agenda:

"72.(...) The mandate of the Forum is to:
a) Discuss public policy issues related to key elements of Internet
governance
(...)
g) Identify emerging issues, bring them to the attention of the relevant
bodies and the general public, and, where appropriate, make recommendations;
(...)
k) Help to find solutions to the issues arising from the use and misuse of
the Internet, of particular concern to everyday users;
(...)
77. The IGF would have no oversight function and would not replace
existing arrangements, mechanisms, institutions or organisations, but
would involve them and take advantage of their expertise. It would be
constituted as a neutral, non-duplicative and non-binding process. It
would have no involvement in day-to-day or technical operations of the
Internet."

So, the IGF can discuss public policy issues, make recommendations, find
solutions etc. They only are non-binding. But a lot of global public
policy is being coordinated in a non-binding way nowadays. That's why you
call it "governance", not "government".

>> IGF is in any case already financed through the UN which itself is
>> financed through the taxes we pay....
Not exactly:
"The IGF Secretariat's activities are funded through extra-budgetary
contributions paid into a Trust Fund administered by the United Nations.
Pledges and contributions have been received so far from the following
donors."
http://www.intgovforum.org/funding.htm

> ICANN uses funds in a manner consistent with its mandate.  Please
> provide examples of use of ICANN funds that are completely inconsistent
>  with its mandate.
That is not the question (well, of course you could question why
Californian lawyers have to make a fortune e.g. from applicants for new
gTLDs, but this is not the issue here). The question was if adding funding
  for the IGF would be inconsistent with ICANN's mandate.

Best, Ralf
     governance at lists.cpsr.org