[governance] Statement for the Feb 13 meeting

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Feb 2 08:58:58 EST 2007

Good statement (other than the curly quotes :-)

I think we should go to the ICC-BASIS statement and use:

The Internet Governance Caucus [Business] fully
supports Mr. Nitin Desai as the chair of the IGF
advisory group, and recognizes his expertise and
professionalism as a major factor in the advisory
group's successful completion of its tasks.

Workshop: I wouldn't go as far as saying they
must be be half discussion, but I think an
emphasis on discussion should be stressed.

I think there are 46 members of the MAG (can
someone check). Expressing dissatisfaction with
number of CS is right to do. But do we need to
present things as a negative, can it be positive?
Rather than saying we want an equal number to any
other group (not so good, likely lead to people
differently interpreting what is/is not CS, and
counting differently), suggest we ask that
"Representatives from civil society groups who
can present a gender perspective [wording?],
people with disabilities and experts on local
access conditions, particularly from African and
SE Asian regions, would be a positive addition to
the membership Advisory Group and should be
invited to join. IGC would be please to work with
the Chair and Secretariat on preparing a possible
list of names for the Secretary General's
consideration."

This "blessing" of the dynamic coalitions is
important. I think they must be associated with
and become an essential part of the IGF as
process, but tieing too closely may not be what
some want.

Themes:

Access should be the overarching theme.
Capacity building a clear priority out of Athens.
(related, and I expect some caucus members might
object to this, but I would like to see a
sentence saying "The IGC welcomes the recognition
of the Internet technical community as a fourth
stakeholder in the IGF process. Information
Society and the critical issues of capacity
building and extending access needs the equal
participation of this vital fourth stakeholder.")

Missing issues we should ask to be addressed in this and future consultations:

Tunis Agenda, para 72 as the mandate of the IGF
and how to better incorporate all the tasks
proposed in this mandate. Particularly in
preparation for and in Rio we believe the agenda
should include opportunity to begin dialogue on:

"Strengthen and enhance the engagement of
stakeholders in existing and/or future  Internet
governance mechanisms, particularly those from
developing countries."

"Discuss, inter alia, issues relating to critical
Internet resources."  Which could complement
discussions on enhanced cooperation. (I would
like us to suggest discussing ICANN  stuff. So
long as it doesn't dominate and suck the life
from the rest.)

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org