[governance] GeoTLD

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Thu Dec 27 11:30:16 EST 2007

I think it's important to note that this opinion of the German professors
(at least as described below) relates to the position under German
*domestic* law.  It does not, as far as one can tell from the summary,
address whether these views and conditions have any applicability outside
Germany.

The opinion of this (US) law professor is that they do not and could not.
There are only two sources of law of which I am aware by which they might:
cultural property law, and trademark law.  Neither provides such rights at
the international level.  See
http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/ccTLDs-TM.pdf for details.

Thus, as far as ICANN is concerned, the question of whether and how to
allocate a geographically descriptive TLD is a pure policy issue, not a
legal one.

(For what it's worth, I persist in the view that ICANN would be smartest
not to even attempt to make these decisions, but rather to allocate the
right to choose names to qualified parties, who would then take on the
policy and legal burdens of whatever choice they made.)

http://www.icannwatch.org   Personal Blog: http://www.discourse.net
A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin at law.tm
     governance at lists.cpsr.org