[governance] RE: GeoTLD

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Thu Dec 27 11:28:58 EST 2007

Wow.  I am impressed with the propaganda.

Really i am - i think displays of propaganda are an art form - things
that should be viewed and studied per se.

ICANN -> Stalinist Soviet Union
Multiple Roots -> with the vaccination against smallpox or the
creation of Internet.

With the authority  St Aquinas brought in as a bolstering argument.

Well done!

Note: even the use of 'consistent root' as opposed to' single root' is
propaganda speech.  They really are logically the same thing.  Just
one is a way of saying we need a mechanism other then ICANN to keep
the root consistent.  And in this analysis the  free market is named
as the better mechanism.  I am not sure we all agree that the so
called 'free market' is the best way to resolve issues of resource
allocation.

a.

On 27 Dec 2007, at 04:58, Karl Auerbach wrote:

> The fact that relatively few competing root systems exist today is
> not, at least not to me, a very strong argument, much less a
> persuasive or compelling argument.
>
> Once upon a time - back in the 1970's - the telcos incessantly
> whined that the only way to do data networking was through the use
> of switched circuits, and their "big new thing", ISDN, and that
> those of us at UCLA, Lincoln Labs, Rand, and SDC ought to forget
> this new "alternative view of reality" called packet switching.
>
> The number of people who used that "alternative view" easily could,
> and sometimes did, fit into a single university classroom.
>
> Yet in the fullness of time that "alternative view of reality"
> became today's internet.

> At one time it seemed like an insane idea to intentionally infect
> people with a mild disease (cowpox) as a means to prevent a much
> worse disease (smallpox).  Yet today, largely based on what was once
> considered an insane idea, the world is nearly (and perhaps really)
> relieved of what was once a terrible thing.

..

     governance at lists.cpsr.org