[governance] RE: GeoTLD

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Sun Dec 30 13:56:37 EST 2007

Milton L Mueller ha scritto:
> A domain name registry is not the incarnation of the spirit and
> people of Berlin. It's an operation that points packets to particular
> nameservers, usually to identify or locate web sites.

I'm not qualified to participate in this discussion from a legal
standpoint (though I've just discovered that a close friend of mine was
a student of one of the German professors that Dirk mentioned in his
reply, so it's true that, on the Internet, tout se tient). But while
what you say might be true on a theoretical plan, it's really hard to
imagine that it can work in practice. Politically speaking, neither the
government nor the people of Whatevercity will ever accept the idea that
.whatevercity is just a random composition of characters and has no
relation to them. At least, not in Europe.

For example:

> It's perfectly
> possible that specialization and expertise in what makes geoTLDs
> successful would be transferable such that a multinational corp.
> specializing in geoTLDs develops.

I can see a significant number of people rallying in protest at the idea
that a foreign multinational (= the devil) can exploit their beloved
city's name to make money out of it.

I would expect that there should be at least some clear connection
between the proposed manager and the intended target community (such as
the manager being based in the city, like ccTLD managers are to be based
in the country), and possibly also some degree of participation or
support by recognized local collective institutions (public and/or
private - not necessarily the government, but a credible part of the
local community).

Moreover, the fact that there are more than one Berlin may imply that
the applicant could be connected to one Berlin or to another one, but it
does not necessarily imply that someone who is not credibly connected to
any reasonable Berlin should have a chance to get .berlin.

I may agree with you that this is much more complex and weird than pure
free market, and that it gives ICANN a lot of maneuvering space (I have
purposedly been adding lots of subjective qualifications in this post!),
but I suspect that this is also the way that a geoTLD delegation would
be expected to work, at least in this part of the world.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------
     governance at lists.cpsr.org