[governance] limits of technical jurisdiction

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Dec 24 21:28:27 EST 2007

Dan Krimm wrote:
> At 6:39 PM +0100 12/23/07, Michael Leibrandt wrote:
>
>> ... The core function of ICANN is that of a technical co-ordination body,
>> and wherever possible, it should stick to that role.
>
> Indeed, this rhetorical statement seems to be universally agreed in
> principle by all associated with ICANN and IG in general.  So, why do we
> continue to have such persistent disagreements about it?

Yes, it is Christmas eve.  Whether one celebrates this holiday or
another, the sentiment - peace and good will - are universal.  As the
moon rises tonight, slightly past full, my wish is that in 12 months
time that we have an internet that reaches and serves every person,
whether that person can pay or not, that the net begins to obtain a
reality of internet governance in which all feel they have a voice that,
if used, will be heard, and that those aspects of the internet that do
require governance become, in fact, become well governed.

Now, pertaining to that last part of the wish, I reach back to our issue
at hand: the issue of fitting bodies of governance to things that do
require governance:

One way to shape our appreciation of ICANN's (or any other body of
internet governance) is to ask the most fundamental question of all: why?

For example: ICANN's "UDRP" - ICANN's dispute resolution policy that
affords trademarks an elevated position among uses of domain names and
creates an accelerated, and from may perspectives, a rather trademark
favorable, process outside the legal system to enforce that elevated
position.

Is the UDRP "technical coordination"?

If so, why?

Let us look to ICANN's mandate that domain names be rented for periods
of 1 to 10 years in 1 year increments:

Is that technical coordination, if so why?

Or ICANN's mandate that there be registries who only sell via accredited
registrars?   Is that technical coordination, if so why?

The same question can be asked about ICANN's deep and expensive
examination of those who wish to operate a TLD, an examination that is
almost entirely about business matters.  How is that "technical
coordination" (and I emphasize the word "technical"), and if so, why?

And so forth.

Yes, many of these things are "coordination".  But where is the
"technical" part?

I have proposed a relatively bright line standard:

A matter is "technical coordination of DNS" if the matter has a direct
and compelling effect on the rapid, efficient, and accurate
transformation of DNS query packets into DNS response packets at the top
two tiers of DNS (root and TLD) without bias for or against any query
source or queried name.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org