[governance] GeoTLD

Michael Leibrandt michael_leibrandt at web.de
Sun Dec 23 12:48:35 EST 2007

Dirk,

Although you didn't address me directly (!), you were obviously commenting on one of my postings on this list.

Well, with your alternative wording you are actually confirming that, for the time being, in Berlin there is neither support from the public administration nor from the political majority for the .berlin proposal. The corresponing headline of the leading German online magazine on IT issues on 29/11/07 was short and clear: "City Domain .berlin does not get official support from Berlin" ("City-Domain .berlin erhält keine offizielle Berliner Unterstützung"). Of course, things can change - but not in just one direction...

I don't have the slightest problem with giving our international colleagues more details about which political party said what in which committee. I even think that more backstage information about the dotBerlin initiative might help outsiders to better understand and evaluate this business model. But I would request that you follow the same rules you want to impose on others. May I recall that February this year you wrote a letter to the GAC chairman (see www.citytld.com/other-cities.htm) which included the following sentence: "Please find attached to this letter the original text and a courtesy translation of a resolution of the German parliament (Bundestag) from March 7th, 2007, which supports the introduction of GeoTLDs fpr German Cities and regions". We both know that at this point of  time the only decision made was to <kick off> a debate on GeoTLD based on a joint <draft> resolution. It took the relevant committees until September (!) to prepare a report and a recommendation. So, to present a decision of the German parliament to the ICANN community even before the substantial debate has started in the relevant committees is... well, I'll leave it to others to find the adequate words for this.

Michael, Berlin

     governance at lists.cpsr.org