[governance] Re: IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Thu Dec 13 04:41:27 EST 2007

Le 12 déc. 07 à 23:34, Jeanette Hofmann a écrit :

> So, do I understand this correctly, some countries have decided to
> go intergovernmental again for areas such as security stuff

Oh, shame on them.. Shame on these governments that are doing
intergovernmental stuff.. Haven't they learnt any lesson from WSIS,
WGIG and IGF?!

> and use the ITU as their preferred platform to coordinate with
> other countries?

ITU is *the* intergovernmental platform to coordinate on most of
these issues.

> Why would they choose the ITU instead of other standard setting
> organizations such as the IETF?
> Because the ITU is now more predictable or more efficient regarding
> outcomes?

Let me guess.. Because it's a UN intergovernmental Agency? Because
ITU, as a UN intergovernmental Agency, can make binding decisions and
adopt normative texts, with all governments having -- equally, at
least in formal voting procedures -- their say?

> I get this idea that security is a topic I have neglected for too
> long and now need to find a window into. Very difficult to
> understand...

And we haven't even started discussing Intellectual property, content
regulation, labor, consumer, trade, etc. issues, yet:)

On security, after ITU, I suggest one investigates, say, ICAO
(International Civil Aviation Organization).. Very interesting, very
intertwinning technical and political decisions, very binding, very
UN intergovernmental Agency, very closed, elaborating standards and
making decisions having very immediate consequences on each
individual citizen: I assume you have a passport and maybe you need a
visa to enter some countries, probably a biometric passport and a
biometric visa with the biometric data on an RFID chip (if not yet,
this will happen soon).
Guess who can set the world standards for machine-readable travel
documents and now for biometric passports, who can decide which
biometric identifier is the mandatory one, etc.?
Guess how, in general, governments decisions at national and regional
levels and global intergovernmental decisions are mutually
reinforcing each other?
Guess how, once a decision is made at global level, it impacts
individual users at national level even beyond the subject of the
decision itself: e.g. in this case, biometric ID cards are justified
by the existence of biometric passports and other travel documents,
and actually uses the same standards in view of rationalizing
processes, limiting costs and centralizing control (for production of
documents and for actual control of these documents, i.e. control of
activities and movements, a.k.a. social control).

Oh, and BTW, ICAO is one of the UN Agencies identified as co-
facilitator of one of the post-WSIS action lines, although this
action line deals with another part of ICAO mandate (environmental
protection). Actually, almost all UN Agencies and structures are
involved except which one? The OHCHR (Office of the High Commissioner
for Human Rights). Isn't this interesting?

It's by no mean about you personnally, Jeanette.

I'm upset because I'm staggered at such naïveté (or is it arrogance?)
appearing sometimes on this list. From time to time, people seem to
wear blinckers: they only see the small piece they're focusing on,
ignoring all other issues, all other venues where these issues are
discussed, all other people or group having been working on these
issues for decades.
I'm not arguing that everyone and every group should deal with
everything everywhere. But at least one should make the effort of
getting a global though even rough idea of what's happening outside
of one's small world, and use this knowledge to coordinate, to
coalesce, to support other groups doing stuff one agrees on and be
supported by them on one's own activities. One should also listen to
others with whom s/he doesn't agree, not to try to find a
"consensus", but to learn from them, and to fight their positions if
needed.
In summary, one should try to get a global, holistic picture of
what's going on, make his/her own views, and act according to his/her
possibilities. Instead of wondering what's the topic of the day and
to forum-shopping running after the hype.
Is that too demanding to people such as those on this list who seem
to be able to travel everywhere, to attend so many meetings and
conferences, and even sometimes to be in positions to act in various
structures touching on Internet governance?

Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org