[governance] What happened at the NARALO/ALAC/CCNSO?

Jacqueline A. Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Mon Dec 10 22:35:22 EST 2007

I don't know why they decided to focus on one and not the other - the
reasons for the Summit should be in the proposal to the ICANN Board, so we
should know then.

I'm confused by the difference you make here between freedom of association
and democracy - if we have an organization in which the decisions are made
by majority vote of the members, how is that not a democratic organization,
or at least an organization that is run on democratic principles? To me,
freedom of association is the ability to associate with anyone that you want
- as opposed to apartheid, for example, where one was prohibited from
associating with people of one's choice based on race. But as one can decide
to join an association where decisions are not made by the membership, they
aren't similar, hence my confusion.  Seems to me that you define both terms
differently?

Also - the At Large has power over ALAC's work schedule and budget
proposals, and the resources assigned to ALAC as the RALOs appoint 10 of the
15, and those reps are there to implement the wishes of the RALO.

"ALAC is there to give ICANN user perspectives on actual policy choices that
ICANN has to make, and if ALAC consistently does not do that, what are we to
conclude?"

Maybe that the users are not interested or not informed enough? If the
latter, then there are things that ALAC can and should do to inform and
educate (and several are underway). If the former, then the ALSes that have
joined and find that they are not interested enough in the policy issues,
should be de-accredited, leaving ALSes that are truly interested in the
issues.

Jacqueline

     governance at lists.cpsr.org