AW: [governance] What ICANN Do

Lee McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu Dec 6 04:16:13 EST 2007

Dirk,

I appreciate your bottom-up effort to bring greater transparency to
ICANN, thanks for this.

Perhaps it is not Kieren's job to update this, and get it posted to the
ICANN website. For example maybe Paul's executive assistant can handle
that, since it must be handy for Paul too to know who's where and doing
what. Maybe you can pass this along Kieren? Thanks.

And on that note, and not to slight my good friends in Canada, but
whichever genius thought it was a good idea for Canada to have its own
regional rep, just like all of Asia, needs to work on their math skills.

(Yes I know Jacob was in the Caribbean too, which is a lot of national
jurisdictions but umm, not so many Internet users when compared to Asia.
And yes the Caribbean will get its own regionally based person before
too long, which is a step in the right direction.)

Anyway, I am aware ICANN is staffing up in these functions and adding
new folks in Asia for example too, just surprised it took til (almost)
2008 for someone to realize that might be a good idea. Now if a chart
like this had been on the website a couple years ago someone might have
realized this sooner don;t you think?  Kieren the little things count,
and this is one of the things that ICANN shouldn't need folks on a
listserv to tell them to take care of, but if that's the way bottom up
works, here you go.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile
>>> krischenowski at dotberlin.de 12/06/07 3:09 AM >>>
Kieren,

When it comes to transparency at ICANN it is important for new people
visiting
the ICANN website or an ICANN meeting for the first time to know who's
responsible for what and who reports to whom. When I look at the ICANN
staff
website I only find an alphabethic order of people working for ICANN,
not an
organisational chart or something similar.

I just want to let you know that I made such a chart beginning of 2007
but
since new empolyees are not announced all the time I failed to follow
it:

http://www.icannwiki.org/images/2/2b/ICANN_Staff_Organizational_Chart.pdf

I should be not too difficult to get this organised.

Dirk
     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org