[governance] What ICANN Do

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Wed Dec 5 22:53:49 EST 2007

So far this preliminary "bridging document" looks like the bridge to
nowhere, so I have to assume you are not finished yet.  Maybe you'd
consider connecting up the other end?  Here's a link you may be interested
in adding, for example: http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm

And as long as we're all holding hands and wishing, how about a wish that
ICANN would include *clear boundaries* to its mandate in its bylaws?  That
is: a *negative* mandate as well as a positive mandate, so that the phrase
"reasonably and appropriately related to these technical functions"
(Bylaws, Section 1, Number 3) has some definition and authority to
constrain run-away policy-makers who want to decide for themselves what is
"reasonable and appropriate" about the relationship of the policies they
are deciding in their own narrow interests.

For example, maybe add something specific about ICANN policy not having
anything to do with *semantic characteristics* of anything having to do
with Internet addressing?  Such semantic considerations seem completely
unreasonable and inappropriate to apply to any ICANN policies regulating
Internet addressing.

Just as there are things that ICANN should address, there things that ICANN
should not address.  There should be some care taken to outline exactly
what is inside and outside ICANN's jurisdiction, and semantic
considerations should be outside.

What *can't* ICANN do?  Put it in writing.  Vague and abstract adjectives
are not adequate to define boundaries for political regulation.  They just
open huge loopholes in the policy process, which allows powerful lobbies to
create much mischief.  You can't have a rule of law without a clear law in
the first place.

One of the most effective things you could do with these bridges is lead
people to the controversial topics where they ought to have an input.
Might light a flame under their butts to come and participate -- nothing
like alarm to get a reaction.  Be careful what you ask for, you might get
it.

;-)

Dan

     governance at lists.cpsr.org