[governance] What happened at the NARALO/ALAC/CCNSO?

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Wed Dec 5 18:49:00 EST 2007

Danny Younger [05/12/07 15:21 -0800]:
>If you have a look at the SSAC report on Domain
>Hijackings issued in July 2005 you will note a series
>of ten recommendations (most of which have never been
>implemented) -- see
>http://www.icann.org/announcements/hijacking-report-12jul05.pdf

That IS actually a good document, and one I wish was implemented.

Danny has a valid point there. Several of the worst "issues" around have
been the sometimes unintended consequence of ICANN decisions - or shall we
say have exploited loopholes and gray areas. The kiting issue for example,
which abuses the add grace period.

>request).  The process stalled at the Board level (and
>the public still has no idea why).  This is, to me,
>not indicative of a process that works correctly.

That's more a question of a process that exists, works .. and then goes
dysfunctional when it has to be implemented. And an indication that ICANN
at least can't set or make policies as easily as it should. Especially when
the implementation of those policies is often at the discretion of (say)
individual registrars.

How much of this can be blamed on the ICANN board and how much on ICANN
staff responsible for translating policy statements into procedures, rules,
directives, etc. What happens to the mass of paperwork generated in a PDP.
A few questions that Danny seems to be asking.

	srs
     governance at lists.cpsr.org