[governance] What happened at the NARALO/ALAC/CCNSO?

Kieren McCarthy kierenmccarthy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 18:48:33 EST 2007

Actually the SSAC reports are a great example of the strange way in the
which Internet self-regulates itself.

They are also testament to Dave Piscitello, Steve Crocker and Suzanne
Woolf's skills and foresight.

What tends to happen is that the SSAC sees an issue coming; makes a decision
to review it; does some really good research; produces a clear, coherent and
insightful document; adds a set of recommendations; and then everyone
ignores it...

... right up to the point where the issue that Dave, Steve and Suzanne
foresaw actually hits. At which point everyone downloads the relevant SSAC
report and starts implementing the recommendations as fast as they can.

I've see it happen several times now and I predict it will happen again wrt
domain name ownership, and wrt whatever they've produced in the past six
months.

This is Internet self-regulation at its very best.

Kieren