[governance] Re: IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Tue Dec 4 15:27:50 EST 2007

The fundamental question here is simply one of relative benefit:  Is there
more to be gained from participation in this process at ITU than there is
to be lost by risking unrecoverable resources and contributing potentially
false legitimacy to the outcome?

This must be a matter of individual judgment in each institutional case.
ICANN and ITU are not institutionally structured in the same way (different
parameters and dynamics of political influence and control over resulting
policy), thus the cost/benefit tradeoff for CS may well resolve differently
between the two cases.  Apples and oranges.  I see nothing involving
grapes.  ;-)

Given that CS has limited resources to apply to influencing policy
surrounding the Internet, it may need to pick and choose where it applies
those resources very carefully.  If ITU's proceedings here are just the red
cape in a bullfight, then the CS bull would be remiss in charging at it
with all of the energy that it could be directing at the matador instead.

So, Suresh, can you address Milton's substantive claim that ITU's likely
policy output (apparently a "top-down" approach to organizing the fight
against cybercrime) is unlikely to make a difference?  I'm sure I would
personally learn something from a structured analysis here.

Dan

PS -- Somehow we ended up talking about ICANN again, even though this
particular topic is actually not about ICANN at all.  How in the world did
that happen?  I'm still scratching my head.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org