[governance] What happened at the NARALO/ALAC/CCNSO?

yehudakatz at mailinator.com yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Tue Dec 4 11:53:53 EST 2007

What happened at the ALAC?

Danny Younger expressed his concerns at a timly manner and on the proper Icann
list.

Anyone??? on the  NARALO, ALAC, or CCNSO care to comment about
*What Happened*.

The results of what happened (or that is, what did'nt happen)
are about to cement themselves in the 700MHz spectrum.

Final Thread: #4 Drop ALAC altogether???

A Primer on the FCC's 700MHz Auction
Grant Gross, IDG News Service: PC World / Business Center
Monday, December 03, 2007 7:00 PM PST

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/140245/a_primer_on_the_fccs_700mh
z_auction.html

Companies wishing to bid in the upcoming 700MHz auctions at the U.S. Federal
Communications Commission were largely silent about their plans today, the
deadline for submitting bid applications.

Google on Friday announced it plans to bid on the spectrum, often called "beach
front" property because it can carry wireless broadband signals three to four
times farther than some other spectrum bands. An AT&T spokesman on Monday
confirmed the company's earlier statements saying it intends to bid.

A Verizon Wireless spokeswoman declined to comment on the company's bidding
plans. Verizon in September had filed a lawsuit against the FCC for its
so-called open-access requirements on about a third of the 62MHz of spectrum to
be auctioned starting in late January. But last week the company announced it
would open up its existing network to outside wireless devices and applications
starting in 2008. So Verizon's objections to the FCC's similar open-access
rules seem to have subsided.

Sprint Nextel does not plan to participate, a spokesman said. "Sprint has all
the spectrum it needs to meet its strategic business needs," spokesman Scott
Sloat said.

Startup Frontline Wireless, made up of wireless industry and government
veterans, has also indicated it plans to bid in the auctions. There could be
dozens of other bidders, including regional wireless carriers and broadband
providers.

What Happens Now?
The FCC plans to make the names of the auction applicants public by Dec. 28.
For one of the first times, the FCC is conducting an anonymous bidding process,
so it will not disclose what sections of spectrum applicants intend to bid on.

The auctions begin on Jan. 24, but they could last several weeks. Auctions go
on as long as bidders keep bidding; the FCC's last major auctions, its advanced
wireless services auctions in 2006, lasted about five weeks. If reserve prices
aren't met on parts of spectrum, the FCC will re-auction those bands.

The auction is conducted electronically with numerous rounds per day, with time
frames for rounds growing shorter as bidding activity heats up.

Why Is This Auction Important?
The 700MHz auctions represent the last large chunk of spectrum available for
the FCC to auction in the foreseeable future. In addition, the spectrum, now
used to carry over-the-air television signals, can be used to carry long-range
wireless broadband traffic. Many people, including FCC Chairman Kevin Martin
have said the auction represents a golden opportunity to create a nationwide
broadband network in competition with the providers of cable modem and DSL
(Digital Subscriber Line) and fiber-based services.

Some consumer groups have called the auctions the "last, best hope" for a third
pipe that competes with cable operators such as Comcast and DSL and fiber-based
providers such as AT&T and Verizon Communications.

While many observers see the spectrum as optimal for wireless broadband, some
carriers may use it for traditional wireless voice traffic as well. Some plans
for the spectrum will likely include networks that merge traditional wireless
voice with high-speed data services. Google seemed to be headed in that
direction when it launched an open-development handset coalition in early
November.

In addition, about 20MHz of spectrum will go toward a nationwide voice and data
network for public safety agencies, including police and fire departments. The
U.S. Congress set aside about half of that spectrum for a public safety
umbrella group, and the other half will be auctioned, with the winning bidder
required to build a nationwide network that serves commercial and public-safety
needs.

Several lawmakers and public-safety officials pushed hard for the spectrum
after communication problems during the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on
the U.S. and later disasters. Public-safety agencies, using a wide variety of
devices on different bands of spectrum, weren't able to communicate with each
other.

The FCC didn't require that bidders build certain types of networks, except
that a voice and data network is envisioned for the public-safety network. And
customers taking advantage of the open-access rules on about a third of the
spectrum are likely to connect a variety of devices to the network. Beyond
that, the FCC has required geographic or population-based build-out
requirements on much of the spectrum.

What's Being Auctioned?
For sale is 62MHz of spectrum in the 700MHz band. In late 2005, after a decade
of debate, Congress passed a law requiring U.S. TV stations to move to
all-digital broadcasts and abandon analog spectrum between channels 52 and 69.
The deadline for TV stations to end broadcasts in the 700MHz band is February
2009.

The spectrum is broken up into five blocks. The C block, a 22MHz of spectrum
that has the open-access rules, is broken up into 12 regional licenses across
the U.S. A bidder can win one or more of those regional licenses.

The A block is 12MHz, broken up into 176 smaller regions called economic areas,
as is the 6MHz E block. The 12MHz B block is broken up into 734 local areas
called cellular market areas. Again, bidders can win multiple regional or local
licenses.

Finally, 10MHz of spectrum in the D block, paired with about 10MHz set aside
for public safety, is a nationwide license.

Congress has budgeted the auctions to raise at least $10 billion, but many
observers expect them to cost much more. The FCC set the reserve price for the
C block of spectrum at $4.6 billion.

Previous related thread[s]: #1 (Begining to End)
ref: http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/arc/governance/2007-12/msg00042.html

Danny,

What happend after this? In the end, How did this pan out??
Where does NeuStar stand today???

Ref.:
http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/alac_atlarge-lists.icann.org/2007q2/00
1021.html

[At-Large] [NA-Discuss] MOU - ICANN Obligations: Redelegation
Jacqueline A. Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Thu Jun 14 10:40:54 EDT 2007

Danny
My email was to inform you that it is not ONLY a NA concern, and that the
rest of the regions are working on cc issues as well. This was informational
and there is no reason to threaten the existence of the NARALO. The NA
region is part of the global AtLarge, and should be interested in working
together with the rest of the world, and not only in isolation.