[governance] Re: IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Mon Dec 3 18:59:03 EST 2007

Meryem Marzouki [02/12/07 18:07 +0100]:
> from Interpol presentation and the harsh critics it received from an
> audience almost only composed by LEAs, it seems that Interpol is seen as
> too "closed" in its ways of operation and too slow-acting. LEA

Well yes - but as I said, Interpol is a last resort and only when you need
global coordination / circulation of alerts to catch a criminal.

MLATs - bilateral agreements between national law enforcement - work rather
faster, and dont need to be referred through Interpol.

> hand), etc. Moreover, this shouldn't be mixed up with issues mainly dealing
> with conflicts of rights, conflicts of jurisdictions and the absence of
> dual criminality (e.g. someone mentioned illegal gambling in a discussion
> on spam). Each category involve different problems, and different possible
> solutions, or at least different ways of addressing these problems.

They shouldnt be. But they often are, when they are classified as a
criminal offense in one country (but not the other). Lèse majesté
(disrespect to the king) in Thailand can get you upto 10 years hard time.

Countries where law enforcement gets sucked into prosecuting this type of
offense often find that a substantial part of their international
enforcement work goes into trying to get some traction on "crimes" like
this. They get no traction - are told to take a hike because of free speech
issues - and so resort to things like banning Youtube, and get even more
negative headlines in the world press. It is a vicious cycle.

	srs
     governance at lists.cpsr.org