fine-grained control of personal data (was: Re: [governance] Publishers Seeking Web Controls - washingtonpost.com)

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Dec 3 13:15:51 EST 2007

yehudakatz at mailinator.com schrieb:
> Publishers Seeking Web Controls - washingtonpost.com News Organizations
> Propose Tighter Search Engine Rules
>
> By Anick Jesdanun Associated Press Friday, November 30, 2007; D02

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/29/AR2007112902207.html>

There is an interesting innovation buried in this article:
> Sites could try to limit how long search engines may retain copies in
> their indexes,

This is was discussed at the IGF session on emerging issues:
"The internet must learn how to forget."

Now, could somebody please develop something like this for personal data?
Bottom line: I want to be able to tell entities that collect information
about me how long they can keep it. I want to be able to tell them what
they can do with this.

This would allow more granularity than the usual opt-in or opt-out, where
the other side basically dictates the terms of use of my date and I can
only agree or not.

Conceptually, these ideas have been around for a while.

The technology for handling this at the back-end is also there,
e.g. EPAL <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epal>, though there are some
patent issues, as far as I am aware.
This is also called "sticky policy" because meta-information on possible
uses travels with the data.

Recently even an iconography (similar to creative commons) has been suggested:
<http://identityproject.lse.ac.uk/mary.pdf> (from IGF 2006)
<http://netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/data-privacy-icons-v01.pdf>

Next steps would have to be:
- a good front-end / GUI for this.
- standard applications that incprporate these ideas
- usage of this by many data handlers

Any hints on who else is working on this? Or further ideas?

Best, Ralf
     governance at lists.cpsr.org