[governance] Drop ALAC altogether??

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 10:44:50 EST 2007

Milton, two questions :

- when you say "non-commercial users" in NCUC, do you still mean
"non-commercial domain owners" or "general internet users" ?
- regarding constituencies, you mention their supposed "relatively
homogeneous interests" (or something like it). Does that mean that you
consider constituencies within ICANN as being a way to structure interest
groups ? And does not this lead to the "siloed" approach that I have often
described as one of the major limitations in ICANN's PDP (in the gNSO in
particular, hence the proposal to move to a working group model) ?

Best

Bertrand

On Dec 1, 2007 7:02 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> Jacky:
> You're talking apples and oranges, or perhaps fish and bicycles.
>
> The NCUC has a clear and simple focus: we represent noncommercial
> organizations. ALAC is supposed to represent anyone and everyone, including
> commercial actors and potentially commercial organizations. So, you can't
> merge NCUC and ALAC without completely destroying the balance of
> constituencies in the GNSO and undermining the nature of NCUC.
>
> Under the proposed structure of ICANN's GNSO, there will be 4 constituency
> groupings: registries, registrars (both domain name supplier interests); and
> commercial and noncommercial users.
>
> It is relatively easy for the NGOs and public interest groups focused on
> human rights in a "noncommercial users constituency" to come to an agreement
> on policy. Likewise it is relatively easy for registries and registrars to
> determine what their interests are and to represent a policy perspective.
> But if ALAC was as broadly representative of "individual internet users" as
> it is supposed to be, it would be very difficult for them to represent a
> point of view, because individual internet users in the aggregate don't have
> a common point of view. As I recall, you don't even think users in North
> America or Asia can adequately understand or represent users in the
> Caribbean.
>
> In general, the At Large's attempt to be the home for individual internet
> users cannot be confused with a "constituency" structure in which the
> groupings are balanced and presumed to be made up on relatively homogeneous
> groups with a common outlook on or interest in policy issues.

Bertrand de La Chapelle

Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no better mission for humans than uniting humans")