[governance] Re: IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sun Dec 2 19:21:28 EST 2007

Ian Peter [03/12/07 06:41 +1100]:

>So I think we come to some sort of multistakeholder structure not yet in
>existence. I must say that in Rio I went to the cybercrime convention
>organized by Council of Europe (the only session devoted entirely to
>cybercrime) and left 45 minutes after the advertised starting time when the
>session had not yet got underway.

Please dont judge CoE by that. Rio and Athens had their share of logistics
issues, that's a known fact. Their convention [1] has a great deal of
potential and [2] has several countries already signed up to it, and other
countries actively looking to ratify it in the near future.

>Is this an area for another dynamic coalition to get things moving? The ITU
>pamphlet on this is a nice glossy with a good high level strategy, but I
>think some complementary action (with their involvement if possible) might
>be productive.

Stopspamalliance was created as antispam but is increasingly focused on
cybercrime. And it includes several key stakeholders in the cybercrime and
spam issues. Joining it would be a good idea.

>Just to give a quick outline of the ITU goals here, they cover
>Model cybercrime legislation
>Organizational structures
>Security criteria and accreditation of software applications and systems
>Surveillance and incident response
>Universal digital identity system
>Capacity building
>International co-operation.

My botnet project covers mainly capacity building and intl cooperation but
spans quite a few of the others (e&oe the word "universal" - I am a more
"here and now" kind of person).

Again, this is one (of a few other) practical implementations of these
ideas that are in progress.  For another one, please see
http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/cyb/cybersecurity/projects/readiness.html

Back to the botnet toolkit, again, the project URL is
http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/cyb/cybersecurity/projects/botnet.html

If anybody here has operational suggestions on how best you can contribute
to this (I know Guru has read the paper, and presumably liked it, judging
from his initial comments) - please feel free to email me, or send your
comments to the ITU project address cybmail at itu.int

In particular - ITU has two pilots at a nationwide level scheduled for the
botnet toolkit in 2008, the first being in Malaysia, in 1Q08.

I met quite a few stakeholders in Malaysia from govt / industry / the
technical community, but only some civ soc (a local professor who is active
in the regional research networking / v6 community, a couple of people who
ran the HackInTheBox conference in Malaysia, etc). If you know any
potential stakeholders in this (in particular ICT access / capacity
building organizations active in Malaysia) that I have not met please feel
free to email me offlist.

thanks
srs
     governance at lists.cpsr.org