[governance] Are Internet users powerless or empowered, and how?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Dec 2 02:51:36 EST 2007

Dan Krimm wrote:

> I agree that we (whoever "we" are) are still in a very early learning stage
> about Internet governance in general,

Some say that governance of matters related to internet is new.  Is that
really the case?  Many of these same issues came up with telephony, and
before that, with telegraphy, and before that with everything from the
handling of trade documents (bills of lading, letters of credit, that
sort of thing), and if we reach far back we can even see the issues of
transnational issues arising in the development of double entry
bookkeeping by the renaissance Italian bankers to govern their far flung
enterprises.

Governance in terms of the control of power is nothing new - Even Moses
discovered (when he struck the stone and demanded that it bring forth
water) that he could be called to account for abuse of his delegation of
authority.

For at least 250 years there has been developing a broad and deep
understanding about the nature of governance and methods to try to keep
its powers within their designated channels and limits.

In that sense internet governance is nothing new - the same issues about
power exist, the same aspects of human nature are still at work, and the
same potential solutions regarding the constraint of that power also apply.

Yet, perhaps because the internet was born during trailing years of the
flower power era, there is a sense that the net is somehow different.
But as we can easily see, even on the internet people and institutions
still want money and authority, institutions still want to grow their
budgets and org charts, and there are still contests to be the biggest
and meanest.

A lot of people like to wave around the words "public private
partnership" as if that actually meant something good.  But it does not.
  Rather it tends to mean the gifting of plenary governmental grades of
power to a body that adheres to the closed and exclusionary, not to
mention the often very self interested, norms of private for-profit
corporations.

We've seen how ICANN, formed in a moment of panic about what might
happen when the US government's authority over Network Solutions was to
end in 1998, has grown into something that covers the domain name
landscape like kudsu and intrudes into matters that relate to the
internet and DNS only through a long and questionable chain of
indirections and presumptions.  Why, for example, should oversight of
the technical stability of DNS require the creation of an entire system
of trademark law (the UDRP)?

We seem to have forgotten what we learned in the 1700's, that bodies of
governance should have powers that are very clearly delineated; that the
exercise of those powers must be shared among competing, and even
mutually suspicious, elements; that there be means for the general
populace to change those in authority and even to adjust the structure
of the system of governance itself; and that governance is a matter for
all, not for some chosen few.

We will find few, perhaps none, of these lessons expressed in today's
bodies of internet governance.

One might argue that the internet is too technical for techniques and
principles of governance past.  While it is true that the words and
subject matter may be new, bodies of governance have long been
established and found workable on very deep and arcane matters as
diverse as medicine, structural engineering, or aircraft flight safety.

Do you remember the 1936 movie "Things To Come"? (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Things_to_Come )  That film expressed a
kind of technological hubris, that technology, being pure and clean,
will overcome the ills of dirty "politics".  Today's approach to
internet governance seems to derive from much of that same well.

Yet after August 6, 1945 can anyone say that technology is really
divorced from politics?

To finish up - internet governance is not really anything new.  We
should not ignore the past ignore the methods that have been learned,
applied, and refined through centuries.   Do we really want to test
Satyandra's rule that those who do not remember the past are doomed to
repeat it?

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org