[governance] MAG future

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Wed Aug 22 08:47:50 EDT 2007

Parminder ha scritto:
> Meanwhile, my concern regarding the governmental co-chair of MAG
> becoming a permanent structural feature of IGF remains.

I am concerned as well, but not more than I was for the opaque and
top-down appointment and renewal of the MAG membership, or for its
stacking with people from certain groups to prevent the mandate from
being fully implemented (the fact that I actually agree with that
stakeholder group on most practical issues is irrelevant to this
regard). The real problem is that the IGF was born with high hopes, but
was quickly dragged downwards by power struggles, short-sightedness and
crossed fears.

I agree with Bertrand, civil society should focus on preparing and
presenting a proposal for the post-Rio IGF that restores the initial
hopes, finding a way to implement the mandate that is not threatening to
the Internet community, and ensuring some clarity, transparency and
democracy in the internal procedures of the IGF.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------
     governance at lists.cpsr.org