[governance] [Fwd: [WSIS CS-Plenary] IGF/MAG renewal an opaque and non-incluse process / un processus opague et non-inclusif]

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.net
Tue Aug 21 18:58:59 EDT 2007

Dear Parminder et al.

> Thanks Francis and Jeremy.

Since I am referenced by name, since I have the highest esteem for
your intellectual integrity,
I am going to answer to your comments although
this does not mean I am part of this caucus.
In fact, I feel more than ever the need of a separate representation
of Civil Society and the "Internet Community", this would partially
ends the need for the Internet Community to have proxies within
the Civil Society to represent the technico-industrial complex that
has become the "Internet Community or Industry";

> Renewal of the mandate the MAG was I think necessary given that little time
> is left for Rio.
If you read the transcript of the 23 may meeting :
 >>CHAIRMAN DESAI:   ../.. I would like to clarify one thing, which is
that the Advisory Group has been constituted by the Secretary-General
simply to advise him.  It does not really have any other legislative
basis than that. We could have done everything that we did without a
formally constituted Advisory Group, simply by consulting those
individuals individually as a U.N. secretariat....

  not a necessity, merely a convenience for some, and a
  non-transparent, non inclusive convenience or .. annoyance

And the role of the advisory group was more the fine tuning, the actual
scheduling and this and that and trying to shape it into some coherent
plan. ../.. The role of the group is --because moving from a discussion
like this to actually putting down for or five pages of paper with a
schedule, with titles for the themes and things like that is where the
group starts coming in.

  Well this was done by the Secretariat up to now, for Rio,
  based on the Consultation meetings, as it was underlined
  by the UN SG invitation 24 July.
  I see no absolute operational need for a MAG.

And then the group helps in the actual running of the meeting.  Because
you need -- you just need bodies, basically.  You just need bodies.  So
please, somebody has to manage all of the events which are taking place
in that hall. Markus can't be around all over the place.

  So the MAG other role should be  "bodies" constituting conference
volunteers force... running down the hallways...
<humor>
  give me a break...  who is going to design the T-shirt for the force...
  as one of the few Civil Society WSIS T-shirt designer I am ready
  to give an helping hand and a pair of rollers ...
</humor>

However, a governmental co-chair is not at all good news
> for the CS, and this, in practice, can be expected to mean that governmental
> inputs will get more value than even before. I don't understand the need and
> purpose of a co-chair.
> We can think of writing a line of protest.
  I believe energy should first better spent in writing
  a line of protest concerning the political behaviour
of the "unique" chair that we got until now.
  I have been ( and I would say most of the french civil society )
baffled by the lack of enthusiasm of the current chair.
  In normal circumstances, the chair of a committee or whatever
  grouping is pushing for the full implementation of the mandate
  of the grouping, while other stakeholders are dragging their feet.
  This is the normal scenario. But here, it is totally the reverse
  that happens, the chair actually willfully and craftfully
   slows down the process.  I have to give him the credit that he felt
the need  to gain the confidence of the 'Internet Industry" and its
proxies so that they participate to the process.
My feeling is that they would have participated anyway, but I am ready
to concede that he might have a point.
But now, this strategy is no longer required.  Quite a few stakeholders
have came to the conclusion that the problem was the chair's slowing
down process. Therefore I am very happy to see a co-chair,  coming from
the LAC region that is unanimously in favor of the full implementation
of the IGF mandate.

> This move
> is a pull-back from the promised multi-stakeholder character of the IGF.
   Sharing power is the essence of multi-stakeholderism,
   having two co-chairs is better than one...
   I would rather support a collective board.
   We would need an extra co-chair coming the internet community, one
from business and  yet another one from the Civil Society...

   Nitin Desai has been partly disawoved, and he should no longer be
able to play his tricks unchecked. The next consultation meeting is
going to be fun.
He is a very clever and talented man, under his grand-daddy guise,
he might have the upper hand....
Nothing may surprise me now anymore at the IGF.

> (I
> know powers-that-be will justify this by saying that MAG is after all a
> program committee, and host country's co-chairman-ship has practical uses. I
> think MAG has more powers than that of a program committee, it shapes the
> IGF, and therefore wields much of whatever power IGF has.)
   Well, it seems that you are opening doors to a closet that I would
not dare to open .. you did it...
  so far; since it was non-existant, the MAG should have not play any
role...   of course, this is the question of the real influence of the
shadow MAG,   has the shadow MAG, during the time of its non-existence
has been illegally   consulted by the secretariat in a non-transparent
fashion.  ?
  I have not noticed the representatives of this caucus to the MAG
having reported anything on the caucus list.
As chair of this caucus,  it is up to you to investigate the
relationship with the live MAG or the zombie MAG....
Anyway, everybody has made his/her own opinion.

> Against such dilution of equality and power the greatest weapon for the CS
> is of putting renewed energy into promoting all process of transparency and
> accountability in IG on which it has any control.
  I fully agree...
  transparency and acountablity at all levels, including financial
resources of the  secretariat, its staff, and consultants

> I find some parts of the proclamation quite useful.. especially
>
> " As part of its mandate, the Advisory Group has been asked to enhance the
> transparency of the preparatory process by ensuring a continuous flow of
> information between its members and the various interested groups."

  Is it that strange that this HAS to be put in writing ?!...
  should it not had to be obvious and natural ?...

> Such transparency and 'continuous flow of information' will greatly obviate
> the need for email leaks,
    well observed
> on an recent instance of which some people within
> CS reacted with almost a choking reaction,
   the lack of reaction, the law of silence of the IGC members of the MAG
   was even more choking...
   the "Dispaingate" was more troubling by the ensuing coverup and
minimzation attempts than by the act itself of this member of the
  "internet industry" that has not shown any intent of remorse,
apologies, or excuses.
   We could analyze things in a conflictual manner and say
  that this episode has discredited the IGC MAG members,
  but we would remain at the surface of things and it would
  not solve things.
   Actions of individuals ( and in a sense, it somewhat absolved them )
   are the result of a structural conflict.
   What it really show that we are not in a sane situation,
   that individuals under the flag of the Civil Society,
feel a strong loyalty to their true constituency :
  the "Internet Community" that they feel is under attack.
  Recognition of the "Internet Community" as the fourth
  class of stakeholder would ease up dramatically the tensions,
  and would avoid the use of proxies.  This was the reason
  of the 4-component bureau that Eurolinc proposed.

> that made one wonder whether we
> were the CS, of which the watchdog function
   “who will watch the watchers themselves?”
  (quis custodiet ipsos custodes as Juvenal wrote )

> is perhaps the most primary. I
> think we need to go back to our CS strengths - and methods, and tools -
> rather than strategizing to side with - including hush-hushing things- some
> strongly entrenched vested interests (you know who!) to make sure other
> entrenched interests (governments) do not usurp more power.

  exactly, fully agreed ( I am answering as I am reading you )
  it is a battle between between two entrenched powers,
  the Civil Society must stay neutral and keeps its core value

> The above quote from the proclamation also points to another important point
> - of reaching out to 'various interested groups'(as also envisioned in the
> IGC charter). Our strength and legitimacy will be built over reaching out to
> more CS groups outside the current charmed circles and supporting/triggering
> a progressive movement in IG and IS polices generally, worldwide. This
> legitimacy can't be built over tactical closed arrangements with vested
> interests whose 'progressive-ness' is itself under challenge, and needs to
> be challenged vide the watchdog function of the CS...

  fully agree

  Best

  Francis

     governance at lists.cpsr.org