[governance] "buy made in ghana goods includes" ccTLD

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 05:05:03 EDT 2007

It is quite refreshing to learn how African countries are making inroads
into the ICT world. A ccTLD is a marketing tool whose impact cannot be under
looked.
Kudos to Nigeria

Aaron

On 8/19/07, annan ebenezer <siliconvalley2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> *   Hi All,
>
> I   believe this mail will interest all. If we  are interested in  our
> identity ( The course to be proud as a people); not forgetting the recent
> re-launch of the "buying made in ghana goods", usage of our ccTLD (gh) will
> re-ignate a national self esteem and confidence.Read  a case study of
> what corporate nigerian  is doing.
>
>  read on and lets start a national debate.
>
> Ebenezer Annang.
>

> Adopt the .ng ccTLD name
>
>    NIRA moves to promote the .ng Country Code Top-Level Domain (ccTLD)
> Name to corporate organizations in the country
>  The Nigeria Internet Registration Association, the Nigerian body
> in-charge of the administration of Nigeria's Top-Level Domain Name, .ng, is
> to begin talks with corporate organsiations to ensure that they register
> their websites under the .ng domain. The President, NIRA Mr. Kalu Ndukwe,
> said the plan was to ensure that the country had a net identity that was
> consistent with what obtained elsewhere in the world. "Our belief in this is
> that as the leading private and public sector organisations they are seen by
> both Nigerians and foreigners are a reflection of the Nigerian taste and
> direction,"he said. According to him, with the formation of NIRA, the time
> had come to ensure that issues that concerning Nigeria on the Internet
> were handled as they should. He said a National Website competition for the
> construction of the nira.org.ng website would also be held to promote
> internet growth in the country. Ndukwe said part of the policy to promote
> the dot ng ccTLD would involve a modification of the current annual
> Webjurist competition that rates the websites of banks. NIRA said it was
> working with Phillips Consulting, which administers the award towards
> ensuring an expansion of the competition to include sites of firms from
> other sectors of the economy. Besides, he said only websites that were
> registered in the Nigerian domain name would be analysed. This means
> websites that end with .com, .org, or .net and others would not be eligible
> for rating. It said NIRA had set up a transition arrangement that would
> precede the full take off of its activities in the country. He said, "The
> board has approved a transition operation to act as bridge between now and
> when NIRA take-full charge and control. This arrangement enables NIRA to
> meet administrative and technical demands." Among the things the board had
> put in place under the transition operation is a temporary office manned by
> a full time Administrative Secretary. He said this office would act as a
> physical point of contact for general correspondence, domain registration
> services and Membership services. The NIRA boss also said during the
> transition periods the subsisting policy of free domain registration would
> continue, but with a modification
>
>    1.
>    culled from HANA  ICT magazine

> [...]

Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper
Special Assistant To The President
Coach of ASAFE Camaroes Street Football Team.
ASAFE
P.O.Box 5213
Douala-Cameroon
Tel. 237 3337 50 22