[governance] Fundamentally broken design of society

David Goldstein goldstein_david at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 11 19:25:29 EDT 2007

Hi Dan,

Your example of a paternalistic funder, such as the USA, is only one example. Europe appears to be moving forwards and being much better in its ability to fund the developing world. But, still it's not perfect. But then, it's probable it will never be perfect.

And where does the first world give its money? Does it give to targetted programmes, or to governments. The latter has been an abject failure in most cases. The Economist <http://economist.com/world/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9440765> recently had an interesting article. It gave examples of successful funding of water filtration plants. Funding for AIDS prevention and medicines for those with AIDS, and malaria, have been very successful.

The article gives an example of a success story in Africa - Mali. Mali is a success story, making agriculture and infrastructure a priority. And of course, telecommunications can be included in infrastructure. But if there's no roads it's difficult to provide telecommunications, even wireless. Nigeria on the other hand is riddled with corruption. Its leaders appear to have only a passing interest in their people. Nigeria has the potential to be one of the world's richest countries, but its wealth is squandered. So Mali has funders flocking to give it money. And from what I can tell, Mali is one of the few shining lights in Africa.

When funders have the choice of funding the projects I have mentioned, I've no doubt most will not choose telecommunications. I imagine most will see their role in other projects. But again, engaging with foundations, or even people such as Jeffrey Sachs, on how to get telecommunications on the agenda could only be a step forward. Going off funding/supporting projects willy nilly is a sure way to failure. By the way, it has to be a trade-off. There is only so much money to go around, so there has to be choices made all along.

There's also a good article by Jeffrey Sachs in The Economist available at http://economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=E1_TQDPVQQ. It's for subscribers only, but there are probably other articles available if people search online. The articles is from 2002, and begins:
"IF GEORGE BUSH spent more time and money on mobilising Weapons of Mass Salvation (WMS) in addition to combating Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD), we might actually get somewhere in making this planet a safer and more hospitable home. WMD can kill millions and their spread to dangerous hands needs to be opposed resolutely. WMS,
in contrast, are the arsenal of life-saving vaccines, medicines and
health interventions, emergency food aid and farming technologies that
could avert literally millions of deaths each year in the wars against
epidemic disease, drought and famine. Yet while the Bush administration
is prepared to spend $100 billion to rid Iraq of WMD, it has been unwilling to spend more than 0.2% of that sum ($200m) this year on the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria."

This debate reminds me of the debate around climate change with Bjorn Lomborg. Simplistically he advocates climate change is over-rated as a problem and money should be better spent on other programmes in the developing world. But, climate change is likely to make any money spent on other programmes pointless if everyone is dead as a result of climate change. If everyone in the developing world dies of malaria and other diseases, funding of telecommunications will have been useless.

David