[governance] Proposal for the 23rd May IGF consultationand advisory group meeting please

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Apr 28 06:38:54 EDT 2007

Bill

I agree that the subject of global public policy, both in terms of substance
and process, needs to go through a process of maturation. I think IGF
discussions are a good place to undertake this maturation process.

 In fact, I can suggest specific issues, on substance - cross border content
flow and regulation, IPR/ strengthening public domain on the Internet,
market principles versus public goods principles as basis for IG,
multilingualism, e-commence, cybercrime etc etc , and on process - EC, GAC,
FC, new multistakeholder processes, UN based systems etc etc..... However, I
myself think that at this stage the public policy issue is in a relatively
early stage of evolution, and a more open approach to gather different ideas
and perspectives will work better.

On whether MAG will like to have more details, frankly, I am not able to
make out whether they prefer fewer details (broader themes) or greater
details (specific themes) for the plenary. A good part of the back-and-forth
we have gone into here comes from this ambiguity in our understanding. If
IGF indeed prefers more specific themes, I am happy to suggest a plenary on
'the present state of play on enhanced cooperation'. Our reps in the MAG may
helps us on understand the general orientation of MAG or the higher-than-MAG
governance systems of IGF in this regard better.

Meanwhile, my understanding remains that IGF is even less likely to accept
as EC kind of specific theme, so my proposal for the following four themes
stands. And suggestions/ inputs are being taken.

(1) 'Global public policy on Internet - issues and institutions'

(2) ICANN - its role and processes at present, and in the emerging context

(3) Global Internet policies impacting access and effective use of Internet
by disadvantage people and groups - The development agenda in IG

(4)Mandate and role of IGF

The current language for 1, 3 and 4 is given below. Lee  McKnight gave the
theme 2, he or/and others may want to contribute specific language for it.

Meanwhile we are also taking inputs on other aspects of IGF 2, like its
plenary design, workshops design, supporting participation of people the
costs of attending, IGF's own proactive agenda of workshops and research,
overview/ background papers, approach toward dynamic coalitions etc... Other
topics for taking in suggestions are also welcome.

Parminder

___________

(1) 'Global public policy on Internet - issues and institutions' plenary

Internet as THE infrastructure of an emerging IS brings on both new
challenges for global public policy making, as well as new opportunities of
managing a global polity. What are these public policy issues, which are the
right/ legitimate avenues for dealing with them, and how existing global
public policy bodies may need to change and/or new ones take shape
constitute an important set of questions, for which IGF is the right forum
for discussion, and if possible moving towards a consensus. "Discussing
public policy issues" regarding IG is also the first point in the mandate
for IGF as per Tunis agenda'. TA deals at length with the question of new
global public policy issues regarding IG and the possibility of new
frameworks and structures (and/or reinforcing existing ones)(p 61, 69), and
there is a feeling/recognition that the task of both recognizing these
issues, and improvising global governance structures adequate to dealing
with them is an agenda that WSIS gave broad direction about, but left it to
post-WSIS processes to formalize. IGF was envisioned as a key forum to
enable/ assist this process (see for instance TA 72 b, that mandates IGF to
"facilitate discourse between bodies dealing with different cross-cutting
international public policies regarding the Internet"). This panel will
examine these key issues/questions as well as specific institutional
arrangements and processes like that of 'enhanced cooperation'.

(2) ICANN - its role and processes at present, and in the emerging context -
elaboration to come

(3) Global Internet policies impacting access to and effective use of the
Internet by disadvantage people and groups - The development agenda in IG

"Under the general theme of access, we would like to have a plenary session
devoted to the topic, how can global Internet governance policies and
practices have an impact on disadvantaged peoples' access to, and effective
use of, the Internet and their access to knowledge? This panel would try to
identify and explore the specific policies, institutional mechanisms,
resource allocation processes, property rights regimes and financing
mechanisms that are international in scope and can have a real affect on
access to, and effective use of, the Internet."

(4) role and mandate of IGF

The Tunis Agenda mandated that the IGF should, inter alia, facilitate
discourse between bodies dealing with different cross-cutting international
public policies and issues that do not fall within the scope of any existing
body; interface with appropriate inter-governmental organizations and other
institutions on matters under their purview;  identify emerging issues,
bring them to the attention of the relevant bodies and the general public,
and, where appropriate, make recommendations; and promote and assess, on an
ongoing basis, the embodiment of WSIS principles in Internet governance
processes. Since these critically important, value-adding functions cannot
be performed by any existing Internet governance mechanism, nor by annual
conferences built around plenary presentations from invited speakers, the
purpose of this panel would be to foster an open and inclusive dialogue on
how the IGF could fulfill these and other elements of its mandate.

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore
Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890
Fax: (+91-80) 4146 1055