[governance] Proposal for the 23rd May IGF consultationand advisory group meeting please

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Apr 27 05:33:52 EDT 2007

> You asked yesterday for more precise language on the mandate question, so
> gave you a few sentences.  Milton's provided a few sentences on the access
> of disadvantaged people/groups.  I'm simply asking you to do the same for
> global public policy so people would know what we'd be proposing.

This is my suggestion for the 'Global public policy on Internet - issues and
institutions' plenary theme for IGF

Internet as THE infrastructure of an emerging IS brings on both new
challenges for global public policy making, as well as new opportunities of
managing a global polity. What are these public policy issues, which are the
right/ legitimate avenues for dealing with them, and how existing global
public policy bodies may need to change and/or new ones take shape
constitute an important set of questions, for which IGF is the right forum
for discussion, and if possible moving towards a consensus. "Discussing
public policy issues" regarding IG is also the first point in the mandate
for IGF as per Tunis agenda'. TA deals at length with the question of new
global public policy issues regarding IG and the possibility of new
frameworks and structures (and/or reinforcing existing ones)(p 61, 69), and
there is a feeling/recognition that the task of both recognizing these
issues, and improvising global governance structures adequate to dealing
with them is an agenda that WSIS gave broad direction about, but left it to
post-WSIS processes to formalize. IGF was envisioned as a key forum to
enable/ assist this process (see for instance TA 72 b, that mandates IGF to
"facilitate discourse between bodies dealing with different cross-cutting
international public policies regarding the Internet"). This panel will
examine these key issues/questions as well as specific institutional
arrangements and processes like that of 'enhanced cooperation'.

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore
Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890
Fax: (+91-80) 4146 1055