[governance] possible DC workshop in Rio

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Tue Apr 24 18:45:38 EDT 2007

Hi Jeanette, please see my reply to Ralf just posted. Civil society
counts on the DCs as the only "alternative" thematic structure, in which
they participate as well. Some of us here in BR think it would be great
if civil society people (and others as well of course) knew in advance
what the proposals are, and have an opportunity for clarifications. The
official space on Nov 12-15 will be, unfortunately, more ritualistic
than this -- but maybe with more diffusion in advance of what is being
proposed we get a better debate. The Nov.11 meeting would be this
opportunity.

frt rgds

--c.a.

Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

> Ralf Bendrath wrote:
>> Sorry for the late reply - caught up in work, and the traffic on this
>> list is way too much for me to follow at the moment.
>>
>> Carlos Afonso wrote:
>>> Objective: presentation of proposals by each of the dynamic
>>> coalitions, so that civil society participants know about each
>>> coalition's views
>> Keep in mind that the DCs are NOT civil society, but multistakeholder.
>> I also guess they will get an extra slot at the official IGF for
>> presenting their work.
>
> Ralf is right. The dynamic coalitions will get slots in the forum schedule.
> A civil society meeting is a good idea but perhaps with a different focus?
> jeanette
>

>> So: I can't speak for the privacy coalition on Rio timing yet. We
>> still have to plan our activities for Geneva next month. We will only
>> sort this out there or even later, I am afraid.
>>
>> Anyway: I would of course be happy to briefly present our work, but
>> have a scheduling conflict with the GIGANET meeting which is planned
>> to last until 18:00 at the same day. I could sneak out of there, but
>> would have to make sure it does not conflict with any chairing or
>> presenting duties at GIGANET. The GIGANET programme will be finished
>> by August 15th, according to current plans.
>>
>> Best, Ralf

Carlos A. Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
http://www.rits.org.br

     governance at lists.cpsr.org