[governance] Internet Governance Debate (Silence and Fatigue)

Brenden Kuerbis bnkuerbi at syr.edu
Tue Apr 24 09:26:31 EDT 2007

On 4/24/07, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/22/07, Milton Mueller <mueller at syr.edu>
> <snip>
> >

> > So where do things stand now?
> >
> > The root server issue (as IGP predicted at the last IGF) is now
> > reinvented and renewed thanks to the prospect of DNSSEC implementation.
>

> It's only renewed in the minds of IGP stff me thinks!
>
> > (See our serial blog at http://blog.internetgovernance.org)
>
> Wishing doesn't make it so.

Dear McTim,

To be honest, I was suprised to see someone who claims knowledge from
allegedly participating in the "right" lists express such an opinion.  One
does not have to dig very deep in the relevant IETF Working Group lists
(Namedroppers, DNSOPS, and other pre 2001 non-IETF lists) to find
evidence that DNSSEC, and particularly control over signing the root, is
intensely political and could continue to hold up deployment of the
technology.  In fact, one of the central actors in the technical community
shaping the DNS (Paul Vixie) just said as much (
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.dnsext/10235/focus=10237).

So please, do this list a favor, and stop trying to discredit research on
this issue.  If you want to debate the issue please join it
constructively - here, or on our blog <http://blog.internetgovernance.org>,
or at the upcoming symposium on Internet governance and security <
http://internetgovernance.org/events.html#Symposium_051707> - rather than
make misguided attempts to stiffle it.

Regards,

Brenden Kuerbis