[governance] Re: New TLDs

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 04:15:03 EDT 2007

On 4/23/07, Michael Leibrandt <michael_leibrandt at web.de> wrote:

> Dear Bertrand,
>
> Having a German academic background, I feel a somewhat natural symphathy
> for rules and categories. But the problem with TLD is that even within
> specific categories you will find some very distinct under-categories. To
> give you an example regarding City TLD: In Germany, some city names are
> protected as trademarks, some are not. So completely different rules would
> have to be aplied to proposals for .solingen or .buxtehude.

Interesting case. Did not know. But probably does not mean completely
different rules, just that a large range of criteria will be taken into
account.

With regard to the development of evaluation rules: Don't you think that for
> a specific set of possible TLD, Geo-TLD, the new GAC Principles do already
> contain some quite important and clear evaluation criteria (e.g. support
> of the relevant local authority)?

I would say yes, "some"criteria, but the whole set is not complete yet.

Best

Bertrand

Michael

--
Bertrand de La Chapelle

Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no better mission for humans than uniting humans")