[governance] Interent community, internet users, and the people

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Mon Apr 23 13:52:25 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 23 apr 2007, at 12.24, Parminder wrote:

... stuff deleted to keep message shorter for the sake of those who
pay too much for their bytes.

> Though I have some problems with this division of internet policy
> stakeholdership, even if we provosionally go by it, I have atleast
> two questions.
>

> (1)In public policy determination does Internet community get any
> special rights over and above those of internet users.

special rights?  no.

are there different things that one group may have a stronger role
in, i expect yes.  e.g. the internet community has a greater
knowledge of what is possible and what currently is the case.  the
user community and the emerging user community has a greater
knowledge of what is needed.

when it comes to policy, they should, in my opinion have an equal
voice from their different perspectives, and should, again in my
opinion, honor each other's special vantage point.
> (2) where and how are non-users represented, for instance in ICANN.

currently, that is one of the flaws, again from my perspective, in
ICANN that needs to be remedied.  there is an effort to include their
interests in the recruitment by the nomcom of outsiders to sit on the
board, the supporting organizations and the ALAC, but i don't think
it goes far enough in terms of making them stakeholders with
constituency representation.  and while things are beginning to open
up somewhat, it is going very slowly and in an ad hoc manner and has
not yet reached a point of anything close to parity with the business
interests or even the government interests.

> Both these questions have great relevance on the issue of whether
> ICANN should or should not be discussed at IGF.

personally, i think anything related to IG should be within the
purview of the IGF. i think, again personally, that if something is a
problem from any perspective, then it can be discussed and can be the
object of a dynamic coalition.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org