[governance] Proposal for the 23rd May IGF consultation and advisory group meeting please

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Apr 23 06:08:58 EDT 2007

Bill/ Milton

If IGC is at all going to propose themes for plenary sessions during May
consultation, there are three possibilities.

 One, go by the inanely broad themes like access, openness etc.

 Two, go with clear public policy issues that most people seem to be
concerned with today in the IG arena, but still keep the themes broad enough
for there to be a chance of their acceptance (or at least not being rejected
on the simple argument that it is just too specific a position for a
plenary). I had proposed three such themes in an earlier email that is
enclosed. These are

(1)   Global public policy for the Internet-- do we need it, who does it and
what is it

(2)   ICANN - the original idea, its evolution and the its role in the
emerging context

(3)   What is it at global policy level that really impacts access to
Internet, and through it to the knowledge commons, of disadvantaged people/
groups

I very much agree that a fourth one on the 'mandate and role of IGF' should
also be included.

Third option is as Bill suggests, making the theme issue even more specific.
I understand that would be like listing the plenary themes specifically in
terms of, say, the 'enhanced cooperation' issue. I will welcome such a
thing. But I think that would allow MAG to too easily reject the proposal.
With the theme mentioned in a broader way, there still is a small chance. Or
at least we can argue for it righteously, as far as it goes.

Another point, I think at these consultations we need only to give our
preferences for plenary themes (among other things) with some justification.
and it isnt the time to write out an actual proposal - as Milton and also
Bill speaks about. Or am I getting it wrong.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore
Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890