[governance] Proposal for the 23rd May IGF consultation and advisory group meeting please

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Apr 22 16:54:43 EDT 2007

OK, Adam. I'll bite.

As a first proposition, I would reiterate something I said ten days ago,
and which received a couple expressions of support (and no direct
opposition I can recall):

> I wonder whether the IGF powers that be would be amenable to having a
> plenary theme on "global public policy for the Internet-- do we need
it,
> who does it and what is it?"

This could deal with the huge loose end left by the Tunis Agenda's claim
that "Policy authority for Internet-related public policy issues is the
sovereign right of States"

I would like to see IGC come out in favor of a plenary session on this
topic. It seems a topic ideally suited for the Forum. It is a problem
that agitates people in government as well as civil society, there is no
other place to talk about it, it is one of the unresolved issues of
WSIS, and it is not something that the Forum can actually do anything
about, so those who still look under their beds at night for fear of a
UN takeover of the Internet can put their hearts at ease.

I can produce a rough draft of such a proposal in an hour or so. Or
someone else can.

>>> ajp at glocom.ac.jp 04/22/07 8:55 AM >>>
Internet Governance? Can we please cut the silliness and try to think
of what the IGC would like to say at the next consultation, now a few
weeks nearer than it was last time I asked.  And many weeks nearer
than when I believe Jeanette and Robin first asked.

Please, we don't ask for fun -- we're still members of some kind of
voluntary (whatever) IGF advisory group and while the business and
other groups have firm ideas, we have nothing from you.  So how much
influence do you think we have in the advisory group discussion... a
lot less that we could if you would give us some ideas to support!

Will this group be able to pull its head from collective (sorry, I
can't say that....) and write a proposal?

What issues should be on the agenda?  What are we proposing for the
Rio meeting.  Draft something.  We used to be able to do it.

And moaning about the February contribution doesn't cut it.  Read the
chair's summary of the meeting, much of what we said was reflected
(and if you look back at discussion when drafting that document
you'll see it was unfinished.)

Thank you.

Adam

(an apologies if it sounds like I'm speaking for Jeanette, Robin and
other members of the advisory group... I am not. Just me.)
     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org