[governance] "civil society doing someone else's dirty work"

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sun Apr 22 16:32:48 EDT 2007

(just catching up on the flurry of email)

On 17 apr 2007, at 04.12, Milton Mueller wrote:

> In substantive policy
> terms, we at IGP have always viewed the FC as a way to LIMIT national
> govts power over Internet coordination as much as a way to insert it
> where it is needed.

i have heard this argued before but never understood it.  it is like
saying that putting the fox in charge of the hens will limit their
power over the hens.  governments, those in power, have always sought
to expand their power over people and have ever attempted to minimize
the actual influence of democracy.  within a FC, no matter what
contribution CS believes it can make, governments will be the only
ones allowed to negotiate and to decide.  i do not see how turning
over control of the IG to a deliberative body composed solely of
governments will have anything but a deleterious effect.

when you write the paper on your proposal for a FC, please expand on
the IGP notion and explain why this could possibly be the case.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org