AW: [governance] Framework convention

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Sat Apr 21 07:13:18 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 4/21/07 12:09 PM, "Adam Peake" <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I hope you will prepare this as a workshop proposal.  We don't know
> how that proposal process will work this year, but I would be
> surprised if it we're too much different from last.

Fine, I will.  But I need co-sponsors.

> I also think it might fit as an emerging issue in Internet governance
> (it's not been discussed before, but identified as important.) An
> "emerging issue" session will be tried again, but in what format is
> not yet clear (session structure and modalities should I think be
> discussed at the May consultation).  But discussion of governance
> mechanisms seems to me to be something that could be raised in that
> session, and could then link nicely to a workshop.

This would be logical, but it would require that there be greater
receptivity this time around to having institutional issues, aka the actual
practice of IG, addressed in the main program.

> Presenting issues broadly in the main sessions so they link to
> workshops where they're examined in more depth is the kind of
> feedback/advice we heard as desirable during stocktaking in February.
> Greater linkage between the main sessions and workshops, i.e. a more
> coherent/tighter agenda.
>
> As for WSIS principles/enhanced cooperation.  Think the principles
> were far less of a last minute deal than whatever enhanced
> cooperation might be.  And they exist firmly in the mandate of the
> IGF (72/i) where enhanced cooperation is a separate process (or so it
> is argued.)

Sorry, perhaps my rushed sentence structure was confusing.  The parallel I
was drawing was with respect to actual political commitments to do what was
said, not when the two ideas were introduced or how often they were repeated
in the documents or referenced in the debates.  There's of course a
difference in that dimension.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake  drake at hei.unige.ch
Director, Project on the Information
  Revolution and Global Governance/PSIO
  Graduate Institute for International Studies
  Geneva, Switzerland
http://hei.unige.ch/psio/researchprojects/Drake.html

     governance at lists.cpsr.org