[governance] RE: [NA-Discuss] ALAC and NCUC

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Fri Apr 20 14:49:28 EDT 2007

At 7:03 AM -0700 4/20/07, Michael Gurstein wrote:
>Dan,
>
>You say, which I agree with that what we are really talking about is
>some form of "political representation" (and if you want to know my
>"agenda", it is that I believe that the broader societal influence and
>significance of this form of political representation is likely to
>increase very dramatically in the not too distant future and that if it
>continues to be the more or less exclusive preserve of a very clubby and
>socially narrow set of techies then there will be all hell to pay...

I definitely concur on wanting to avoid the clubby thing.  So, one goal
here seems to be to make sure the representational process is appropriately
broad, capturing every natural person who needs to be represented without
going overboard into the realm of devices.

>So its important to get some of these things on the table and try to get
>them right while there is still some (probably remote) possibility of
>doing that...
>
>In this context then we are talking about "political representation"
>which according to what you have indicated below:
>	1. consists of "natural persons" whose only realistic mode of
>identification/verification is via a means which doesn't seem (at least
>to me) to offer any way to determine whether this "natural person"
>representative is "natural", a sensor, or a dog (q.v. the New Yorker)...

I don't know exactly what modes of ID/verification are available in this
context.  I suppose strictly speaking you haven't yet verified that I am
not a robot/avatar, unless this exchange qualifies as an instance of the
Turing Test...  However, I am personally acquainted with several others on
this list, including Robin Gross, Robert Guerra, and Wendy Seltzer.  ;-)

>	2. is assigned some form of Internet "citizenship" as a result
>of this status but so far one without any definition of what the
>attendant rights or responsibilities of that citizenship might be apart
>from the right to make what would appear to be one way complaints
>to/about ICANN (shades of The Castle--Kafka)

I'm still learning about ICANN's representational processes, such as they
are, but it appears the primary role of the various advisory groups and
constituencies is precisely to voice opinions about policies and practices
at ICANN.  If many of those opinions are complaints, it is probably because
there isn't so much time as to constantly compliment the things it does
right, plus the fact that there is quite obviously room for improvement
(and one form of improvement may be recusal from certain domains of
activity).  I wouldn't suppose that anyone at ICANN thinks it is perfect
just yet, even its greatest proponents.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
:-)

>	3. is based on a form of assigned status/prescribed role (i.e.
>that of the "individual user") which refuses to take account of how that
>use is actually undertaken in the real world (in many cases
>collaboratively, through dyads, by communities etc.etc.)
>
>(Its you who are introducing the nature of definition of "political
>standing" (Internet use) and then rather than accepting the implications
>of this (giving politcal standing to who or what is actually undertaking
>the use), you are interposing what seems to be an ideological bias in
>insisting that the "users" must be "individuals", when in fact in many
>instances the "user" is not an "individual" at all (except possibly
>through the for now, artifact of individual keyboarding).

I would contend that my "bias" is not ideological, it is merely contextual.

The context (as I understand it) is primarily to design a representational
process for natural persons.  Thus, natural persons are the fundamental
element of representation here.  This is where we start, this is our "base
set" or "universe/domain" (cf. Norbert's recent comments).

We then move on to "which particular policy domain" within the
natural-person universe: that of Internet policy as it affects those
natural persons.  So we are talking about the subset of all natural persons
who are somehow involved in using the Internet, however that may be.

The *nature* of that "use" seems totally irrelevant to me with regard to
the question of *what kind of entity* is represented -- it is merely a
qualifier applied to the original universe/set.  Any use that involves any
natural person and the Internet seems enough to me to qualify the natural
person as an Internet "user".  I see utterly no reason that the nature of
the use should enter the picture in this particular context (the narrow
question of standing for representation).  The idea here is to cast a wide
net, to capture *any natural persons who have some direct interest in
Internet policy* (I suppose: "who are not already captured in some other
ICANN constituency or advisory group" ...  context, again).

You may consider this to be "ideological" but I consider it to be sensible.
At some point, the full universe of natural persons could eventually enter
the set of representation, because society as a whole has an interest in
Internet policy as the Internet permeates society ever more deeply over
time.  But for now, it's fair enough to confine the set to those natural
persons with some direct involvement with the Internet, even if only
sporadic, collective, etc.  Some of those people will eventually grow to
have more consistent access or more individual use, but perhaps only if the
right policies are enacted with regard to the Internet, so the interest
here is not only current but potential.  Nevertheless, perhaps for now we
can step back from the full potential which is to represent *all natural
persons on the planet* with regard to Internet policy.

(Note: Karl's warning about legal persons is well-taken.  I am reluctant
about that idea, but given the realities of current legal paradigms it may
have to be dealt with somehow.  Of course, they could get their own
separate process of representation without folding into ALAC or NCUC.)

>	4. I agree with your statements concerning the nature of the
>relationship between citizenship and poltical representation, the
>problem is that there really isn't any relationship between the first
>part of your argument and your second except your evident belief that
>there is one.

I hope my comments directly above clarify that.

>All this to say that I don't think that one can build any useful
>structure of "political representation" on the basis of really vague and
>ultimately undefinable notions of "individual user" (which seems to be
>an attempt to conflate the notion of "individual user" with Internet
>citizenship).
>
>However, that being said, continuing forward and having representation
>being done by "self-selected individual Internet activists" is probably
>no worse than any other and doesn't preclude the development of some
>more robust and ultimately democratic structures alongside the current
>admittedly extremely formative processes.

Maybe it would be better if ICANN didn't even try to do this sort of thing
in the first place, and left all of the political considerations to other
forums.  I agree that the representational structure currently at large at
ICANN is clubby and imperfect, and I don't see how that could ever be fixed
under any model similar to the current one, as ICANN is still a private
corporation with only the MoU to tie it tenuously to any form of genuine
political representation in the first place.

So I do agree with your last sentence:  Given the current ICANN structure,
there is no obvious way to create a truly representative structure of
political representation inside ICANN, and it will definitely be
self-selecting in many ways (the activists on the corporate side are
equally self-selected, for example).

So, I see two parallel tracks (as apparently several others here do as
well, even yourself):

 * Inside: use what structure of representation there is currently at ICANN
to advocate for workable policies and push back against unworkable
policies, especially in terms of removing political domains from ICANN's
consideration in the first place.

 * Outside: try to put together a genuinely representative political
structure to deal with the political issues (i.e., IGF, perhaps this
Framework Convention idea, etc.).

I see more agreement here than disagreement.  I hope you understand my
stance with regard to "Internet users" better now.  No need to make things
more complicated than necessary, as Wendy suggested earlier.

Best,
Dan

     governance at lists.cpsr.org